Pine Mushrooms in a Lush Red Sauce
Pine Mushrooms in a thick red sauce
Pine mushrooms are seasonal and available during the autumn months.
Because of their firm texture they they can be used in casseroles and stews and can carry the dish.
This dish is a great meal all on it’s own, as a side dish or may also be used as a bolognese for pasta or risotto.
4 large pine mushrooms
250ml of Broth & Co Bone Broth – your choice of flavour
(all our liquid bone broths contain onion, garlic, celery, carrot, ginger, turmeric and black pepper)
½ tbsp tomato paste
½ cup white wine
4 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the tomato paste to a saucepan with a little olive oil and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the white wine and simmer vigorously until the wine has completely reduced. Add the bone broth, along with the thyme, lemon juice, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp towel to remove any dirt or pine needles. Cut the mushrooms into 1-centimetre slices. I also use the stalks.
- Add the sliced mushrooms including the stalks to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. The stock will thicken and reduce to a sauce consistency.
- To finish, season with salt and pepper.