Mexican Kidney Bean Stew
Mexican Kidney Bean Stew or Side
How to Cook Dry Kidney Beans
Overnight Soak Method
- Place beans in a pot and cover with water.
- Soak overnight.
- Drain the soaked beans; rinse with clean water and drain again.
- Add 3 cups clean water for every 1 cup of dry beans.
- Bring to a boil, turn the heat down to low, and cook slowly until tender – about 2 hours.
Pressure Cooker Method
Store bought cans are a convenient option
Mexican kidney bean stew/side dish
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 cup 200ml of Beef or Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 cup of passata
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 red capsicum finely chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of honey
1.Heat oil in a pot over medium heat, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are almost browned
2. Add garlic & pepper and stir
3. Add the tomato paste, passata, bone broth and beans bring to boil and then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Serve as a hearty stew or cook off the liquid and use as a side dish or filling for tortillas